Wednesday 17 October 2012

The Scottish Aquathlon Championships

On Saturday I travelled up to Scotland for the Scottish Aquathlon Champs, my last race of the season. The journey up the East Coast Main Line from Leeds to Edinburgh must be one of the nicest in Britain, passing through Durham, Alnmouth and Berwick-upon-Tweed. I always think it’s a shame to be passing through Durham and not stopping, but the destination- Dunblane was also lovely, especially since I was staying with family.

The race took place on Sunday at Stirling University. The sports facilities here are amazing with a 50m pool and athletics track right next to each other. But the real star of the show is the surrounding scenery which is just beautiful- I’ll take my camera the next time I visit. The race itself involved a 750m pool swim followed by a 5km run consisting of two laps around the University campus on a mixture of tarmac and grass. I didn’t feel like I had a great swim or first run lap, but I felt good on the second lap and was really happy to win the race (although I only found this out a couple of days later due to a problem with the timing!). My Aunty, Uncle and cousins came to watch me race which was great as it’s always nice to have someone cheering for me and following the race we went back to Dunblane for a delicious meal starring Granny's soup (otherwise known as lentil or ham bone soup).

Race report and results here: 
Scottish Aquathlon Championships

End of season interview here:
Sportsister catches up with Seonaid Thompson


1 comment:

  1. Congratultions on being Scottish Champ! Looks like you took some good scalps too :-) Hope you enjoy your (well deserved) break xx

    ReplyDelete